Why does password protection fail in IE7?
IE7 turns on some extra securty options by default. The one that affects password protection is 'allow websites to prompt for information using scripted window'.
The simplest way around this is to ask the person who will visit your password protected page to add your site to his or her trusted list (in the ‘Security’ tab from the IE7 menu: Tools > Internet Options)
The other way is to change the 'allow websites to prompt for information using scripted window' setting from 'Disable' to 'Enable'.
To do that:
- Go to IE7 menu: Tools > Internet Options.
- In the ‘Security’ tab select the ‘Internet’ zone and press ‘Custom Level...’.
- Scroll down the setting to: 'allow websites to prompt for information using scripted window'
(it is near the bottom in the ‘scripting’ group).
- Click on the ‘Enable’ option.
- Press Ok to close the open dialog boxes.